With our comprehensive guide to dog-friendly beaches, you can take your four-legged companion along for a splash! Whether your dog loves chasing waves or digging up the sand, we’ve got you covered.
Our guide features the top dog-friendly beaches around Tenby, so you can plan the perfect beach day for you and your pup. From the sunny shores of South Beach to the picturesque Barafundle Beach, we’ve researched and vetted the best spots for you.
Learn about the rules and regulations for dogs at each beach, so you can ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for your pet and fellow beachgoers. Discover amenities like onsite dog parks, pet-friendly cafes, and even doggy sunscreen recommendations.
Don’t let your dog miss out on the fun in the sun. Grab your sunblock, leash, and beach toys, and get ready for a pawsome adventure at the dog-friendly beach!
Taking your dog to the beach offers numerous benefits for both you and your furry friend. Firstly, it provides an opportunity for your dog to get exercise and burn off some energy. The open space and soft sand are perfect for a game of fetch or a leisurely stroll along the shoreline. The beach also offers a change of scenery, which can stimulate your dog’s senses and provide mental enrichment.
Spending time at the beach with your dog can also strengthen the bond between you. Dogs are social creatures and love being part of the family activities. Sharing a beach day with your furry friend allows for quality time together, creating memories that will last a lifetime. Plus, seeing your dog’s pure joy and excitement as they frolic in the waves is a heartwarming experience.
While the beach can be a paradise for dogs, it’s important to prioritise their safety. Before heading to the beach, ensure that your dog is up to date on vaccinations and flea prevention. Keep in mind that not all dogs are natural swimmers, so consider investing in a life jacket for added safety, especially if your dog is new to water activities. It’s also crucial to provide plenty of fresh water to keep your dog hydrated throughout the day.
When it comes to sun protection, dogs are susceptible to sunburn, just like humans. Apply a pet-friendly sunscreen to exposed areas, such as the nose, ears, and belly. Additionally, be mindful of hot sand and pavement, which can burn your dog’s paw pads. Test the temperature with your hand before allowing your dog to walk on it, or consider using protective booties.
1. South Beach: Tenby South Beach is the pawfect choice for your four-legged pal! This fantastic spot has earned itself a shiny Blue Flag, which means it’s not only super clean but also super safe. So, you and your furry companion can soak up the sun without a care in the world!
2. Penally Beach: This beach is a year-round haven for dogs, which means you and your furry friend can dive into the waves and have a blast together, no matter the season. And guess what? There’s oodles of room for your pup to run wild and play, so they’ll be as happy as can be.
3. The Glen Beach, Saundersfoot: This beach is the perfect place for you and your furry friend to have a blast, no matter the season! You can take a dip in the cool waters together any time you like, and there’s loads of room for your dog to romp and have a great time.
4. Wisemans Bridge Beach: Wisemans Bridge Beach boasts a unique feature – the Wisemans Bridge Inn, which stands proudly at the heart of this charming little community. With its welcoming atmosphere, this inn is not only a great place to grab a drink or a meal but is also famously dog-friendly. So, your four-legged friends are just as welcome as you are to enjoy a day at the beach.
5. Manorbier Beach: Manorbier Beach is often described as one of the most captivating spots in Wales. With cliffs and dunes surrounding the sandy shoreline overlooked by Manorbier Castle, the panoramic landscape makes the area extremely popular with walkers and visitors alike.
6. Monkstone Beach: This beach is welcoming to dogs all year round, so you can enjoy a refreshing swim with your pup any time of year. Plus, there’s plenty of space for your dog to run and play, so they’ll never get bored. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and head to Monkstone Beach for some fun in the sun with your four-legged friend!
Before heading to the dog-friendly beach, there are a few essential items you should pack. First and foremost, don’t forget to bring a sturdy leash and collar or harness to ensure your dog’s safety and compliance with beach regulations. Additionally, pack plenty of poop bags to clean up after your furry friend and be a responsible beachgoer.
To keep your dog comfortable, bring a beach towel or blanket for them to relax on. You may also want to consider bringing a portable shade tent or umbrella to provide shelter from the sun. Don’t forget to pack your dog’s favourite toys and treats to keep them entertained throughout the day.
When it comes to beach essentials for your furry friend, there are a few items you should consider. Firstly, invest in a waterproof collar or a collar that dries quickly to prevent discomfort for your dog. A sturdy and long leash is also crucial for keeping your dog under control while still allowing them to explore and enjoy the beach.
To protect your dog’s paws from hot sand and sharp shells, pack a pair of dog booties. These will provide added comfort and prevent injuries. It’s also important to have a well-fitting life jacket for dogs that are not confident swimmers or are new to water activities. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your dog is safe in the water.
Water activities are a great way to keep your dog entertained and cool at the beach. If your dog enjoys swimming, encourage them to take a dip in the water. Start in shallow areas and gradually move deeper as your dog becomes more comfortable. Remember to always supervise your dog while they are in the water.
Playing fetch with a floating toy is another fun water activity for dogs. Choose a toy that is specifically designed for water play and toss it into the waves. Your dog will love the challenge of retrieving the toy and bringing it back to you. This game provides both physical exercise and mental stimulation for your furry friend.
When visiting a dog-friendly beach, it’s essential to be mindful of others and practice good beach etiquette. Always clean up after your dog and dispose of waste properly. Use designated doggy bags and waste stations provided by the beach to ensure a clean and pleasant environment for everyone.
Respect other beachgoers by keeping your dog under control and following leash regulations. Not all beach visitors may feel comfortable around dogs, so it’s important to be considerate of their preferences. If your dog tends to be overly excitable or reactive, consider using a leash or harness to maintain control.
Before visiting a dog-friendly beach, familiarise yourself with the specific rules and regulations in place. Some beaches require dogs to be on a leash at all times such as Castle Beach, and some are seasonal only allowing dogs on between 1st May and 30th September, such as Tenby North Beach, Saundersfoot Beach and Coppet Hall Beach. It’s crucial to adhere to these regulations to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Additionally, be aware of any seasonal restrictions or time limitations for dogs on the beach. Some beaches may only allow dogs during certain hours or during specific months of the year. Check the local beach authority’s website or contact them directly for up-to-date information on beach regulations.
Taking your furry friend to a dog-friendly beach is a fantastic way to enjoy the summer and create lasting memories. From the benefits of exercise and mental stimulation to the joy of swimming in the waves, the beach offers a world of adventure for dogs. By following safety guidelines, packing the essentials, and respecting beach regulations, you can ensure a fun and enjoyable beach day for both you and your furry companion.
So, grab your beach gear, leash up your furry friend, and head to one of the top dog-friendly beaches in Pembrokeshire. Let the waves, sand, and sunshine make your beach day a pawsitively amazing experience for both you and your dog!
You can find more information on all dog restricted beaches HERE